Right now I’m working with the team at Heinemann to put the final touches on my new book, Simple Starts – Making the Move to A Reader Centered Classroom. It’s slated for publication this spring.
This book is for anyone who wants to put REAL reading first in their literacy classroom. We’ve worked hard at packing a whole lot of user-friendly tips, tools, charts, checklists and examples into this text. I want every teacher who picks it up to feel supported and encouraged by the “can do” spirit of the book.
Simple Starts will help you to:
- create an environment where every reader can truly flourish,
- consistently get the right books in the hands of the right kids,
- increase engagement and decrease frustration in the reading classroom,
- maintain simple, predictable, and sustainable routines,
- deeply know students as readers and as people,
- organize your classroom and your book collection to support success,
- engage students in deeper thinking, conversation, and writing about what they’re reading,
- eliminate the endless cycle of creating and correcting keep-them-busy-work in the reading classroom,
- and teach more purposefully and joyfully every day.
Sound impossible? It’s not! You can do all of this. You can start today. You just have to take one step at a time. This book show will show you how.
Spread the word. I think you’re going to love it!