Our children need books to surround them every moment of their learning day. Books need to be prevalent in every area of their classroom. Not only do they need great books around them, but they the messages from us about wonder of these books to be strong and consistent.
Books are vital to our lives. We need them. We want them. We can never get enough of them. They can change our lives in all sorts of amazing ways.
Students need to see teachers depend on books in our classrooms as much as we depend on pencils or paper. Books need to become the thing we cannot function without. They need to be the thing we think of every time there is an extra minute to spend or extra penny to allocate.
Below is a list of what our students must see their teachers do with books:
- Read aloud every single day of the year, at least once, no matter what.
- Use books to create a sense of family and community in the classroom.
- Use books to purposefully teach about a topic.
- Hunt for the information we need in books.
- Share books that amuse and entertain us.
- Laugh until we cry, all because of a book.
- Hurt until we cry, all because of a book.
- Inhale the smell of a brand new book and marvel over the beauty of it.
- Hug and protect a beloved old book, ragged and bedraggled as it may be.
- Shake with the excitement of wanting to tell about what we’ve read.
- Use one book to launch us into another.
- Connect with other people because of a book.